Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekend of January 19-20

The first movie we watched was Wedding Daze. It stars Isla Fisher (of "Wedding Crashers") and Jason Biggs. It's Michael Ian Black's directorial debut.

It's the story of guy whose girlfriend dies of a heart attack during his wedding proposal. He has a hard time dealing with her death and one day jokingly asks his waitress if she'll marry him. She accepts. The rest of the movie follows these two through their relationship.

John and I were in agreement on this movie. It definitely had some funny parts, but it wasn't the kind of funny that makes you want to watch the movie over and over again. One time was more than enough for this movie. Isla's Australian accent fades in and out throughout most of the movie and it's rather distracting. It's a decent movie, if you can let your mind free of the "this would never happen in real life" thinking.

I'll give it 1.5 stars out of 5.

The second movie is Mr. Woodcock. It stars Seann William Scott, Billy Bob Thornton, and Susan Sarandon.

It's the story of a boy who gets terrorized by his gym teacher. He writes a book about how he let go of that traumatic past and moved on with his life. He comes back to his hometown on a book tour, only to find out that his mother is dating the old gym teacher, Mr. Woodcock.

John and I both laughed out loud at several parts of the movie. I definitely liked it more than John did though. John was reaching for the fast-forward button a few times, but I had to stop him. I really enjoyed this movie. It made me laugh a lot and not just a hee-hee kind of laugh. It was the uncontrollable, laugh LOUD kind of laugh. Every character is perfectly played by Seann, Billy Bob, and Susan. Billy Bob is so convincing as the evil Mr. Woodcock, you actually fear him yourself!

I'll give this movie 3.5 stars out of 5.

The third movie is Funny Girl. It stars Barbra Streisand and Omar Sharif.

It's a movie following the life of comedienne, Fanny Brice. She believes in herself and makes it huge in the theatre business, despite some doubters who said she wasn't beautiful enough to have a career in that business. The movie follows her theatre life as well as her marriage to the wealthy Nick Arnstein.

John didn't watch this movie with me. He's not a Barbra Streisand fan like I am. I really loved this movie! I can definitely see how Barbra won an Oscar for her role as Fanny Brice! Barbra's acting was phenomenal! This is the first movie I've watched which starred Omar Sharif. He's so charming! I was definitely reminded of George Clooney as I watched him. The movie is long, almost two hours, but it didn't feel like it was that long. And, of course, the music was fantastic! I could sit and listen to Barbra Streisand sing the phonebook! The only bad thing I could say about this movie is that I didn't like the way it ended. I understood it and it made sense for the movie, but I was really hoping for a happy ending to this one. If you're a fan of Barbra's work, I'd absolutely recommend this one!

I'll give it 4 stars out of 5.

The last movie was Manhattan. It's a Woody Allen movie from 1979 starring, of course, Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, and Meryl Streep.

I don't entirely know what this movie was about because John and I didn't make it through the movie. It's all in black and white and the plot just wasn't interesting enough to keep us interested. (Yes, I wrote that sentence and I don't care how it sounds.)

I'll give it 0.5 stars out of 5. (I give it a half star because I love Meryl Streep!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still leery about watching a movie named "Mr. Woodcock"...