John and I had (3) movies to watch this weekend. We almost always have (3) to watch - (2) from my Blockbuster Mail account and (1) from John's Netflix account.
John's rental was Sweet Land.
It stars Elizabeth Reaser (of "Grey's Anatomy") and Tim Guinee. It's set in Minnesota in 1920 and it's the story of a mail-order bride who comes from Germany to marry a Norweigan man. They face some complications and the movie follows them through their journey.
John liked the movie, but he also has a crush on Elizabeth Reaser so I don't think he's qualified to properly judge the movie. I thought the movie was okay, but the plot was weak. There were no heart-stopping moments and there wasn't anything that you didn't see happening before it happened. The movie was much too long and it had some definite slow moments which I would have fast-forwarded if I had been in charge of the remote.
I give it 1 star out of 5.
My first rental was The Nanny Diaries.
It stars Scarlett Johansson and Laura Linney. A college graduate (Johansson) goes to work for an uptight, snobby New York family as their nanny.
John and I both enjoyed this movie. If you're looking for a light comedy, this would definitely be a great rental. There are a lot of funny moments and a lot of moments where you absolutely feel for Johansson's character. It's heartwarming and delightful! (Yes, I used the word delightful.) I'd definitely recommend it!
I give it 3.5 stars out of 5.
My second rental was 3:10 to Yuma.
It stars Christian Bale (of Nikki's dreams) and Russell Crowe (of Nikki's nightmares). It's the story of a near-broke rancher (Bale) who gets offered a lot of money for his journey to get an outlaw (Crowe) onto the 3:10 train to the prison in Yuma.
John and I had watched the original 1957 Glenn Ford and Van Heflin version of 3:10 to Yuma a few weeks before and it left us less than excited to see the Christian Bale and Russell Crowe version. (Okay, it left John less than excited. I'd be excited to see Bale read a phonebook.) But, we were pleasantly surprised! The movie was packed with excitement and shocking moments! If you love westerns, you'll love this movie! It also promises some awesome celebrity cameos! Bale is amazing as the beard-havin', cowboy hat-wearin' good guy and Crowe is spectacular as the bad-to-the-bone bad guy!
I give it 4 stars out of 5.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment